Saint Telmo Palace, venue of the Chairmanship of Andalusia Government, was built in the 17th and 18th centuries; of a Baroque style it was built as a school to form the sailors, thus its name, because in the front door there is a sculpture of Saint Telmo, patron of the sailors
In 1844, it was no longer a nautical school and became the residence of the Dukes of Montpensier.
The duchess Infanta Maria Luisa donated its gardens to the City of Sevilla (Maria Luisa’s Gardens), and the building to the archdiocese of Sevilla, thus becoming the diocesan Seminar.
Finally in 1989, the building was given to the Andalusia’s government; and after restoring some spots and giving it back its palace condition, it became the venue of the Chairmanship of Andalusia Government on April 21st, 1992.
Saint Telmo Palace is considered one of the most beautiful buildings of the Seville baroque, highlighting its 18th century façade.
Its lateral façade facing Alfonso XIII Hotel, on Palos de la Frontera Street, has twelve statues made by Susillo dedicated to illustrious from Sevilla:
Juan Martínez Montañés (sculptor)
Rodrigo Ponce de León (Señor de Marchena and first duke of Arcos and Captain General of Granada Re-conquest)
Diego de Silva y Velázquez (painter)
Miguel de Mañara (founder of Santa Caridad hospital)
Lope de Rueda (play writer)
Fernando de Herrera (poet)
Luis Daoiz (hero of May 2nd, 1808)
Benito Arias Montano (humanist)
Bartolomé Esteban Murillo (painter)
Fernando Afán de Rivera (humanist)
Fray Bartolomé de las Casas (patron of the natives)